Monday, February 8, 2010

Week 5 post

When using CALL, no set of theories are said to be solely associated with it, rather hands on exerience is more important. Activities such as MSN, facebook, online forums, who would look into the theories behind these applications, when everyone just learn as they are using it. Theories scare people off as something they need to learn and would easily associate them with work, rather if CALL was used in a laidback and non-formal way, learners would find it much easier to use.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post - I think it needs to be clarified a bit, perhaps by providing some of the background and a link to the reading. I do think that it's important to enjoy the playfulness of cmc and other technologies, but I don't think it's a good idea to write off the research that has been conducted into their use in language learning because I think there is a lot we can learn from it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with u on the theories scaring off the young learners. However, I think perhaps it is teachers' responsibility to learn the theories first and then think how to make the theories more practical to learners.

    ReplyDelete